Pasty Farmer –
Terms & Conditions
Job Description: Pasty Farmer work experience
Love Ginsters Cornish pasties? Always wanted to know how they are grown? We’re offering one lucky pasty enthusiast the chance to find out just how the swedes, onions and potatoes that go into our pasties are grown, with work experience at one of our partner farms in Cornwall.
At Ginsters, we are passionate about the ingredients that go into our products. So, that is why we are offering a passionate, motivated and enthusiastic individual the opportunity to gain work experience at Hay Farm in Cornwall, one of the farms which provides us with daily deliveries of the locally sourced vegetables that go into our pasties, bakes, slices and rolls. This is a perfect opportunity for someone who is keen to get their hands dirty and experience first-hand the effort that goes into growing, nurturing and harvesting vegetables.
Hard effort goes into every single one of our pasties so that everyone can enjoy that unmistakable Ginsters tastiness. So, we’re looking for someone who, like the farmer character, Merryn, from our latest TV advert, is willing to put in the effort and do whatever it takes to ensure the veg on Hay Farm grows to be the best it could possibly be – even if it means singing to them through a baby monitor.
The selected Ginsters Pasty Farmer will have the opportunity to be personally responsible for the vegetables that go into the nation’s favourite Cornish Pasties and be supervised and mentored by the farming team at Hay Farm.
So, if you think you have the same dedication as our Merryn, get in touch!
Our ideal candidate will:
- Look after and care for the potatoes and onions that go into Ginsters’ Original Cornish Pasty.
- Learn about with the planting, watering, and harvesting of crops.
- Learn and apply innovative techniques that support vegetable growth, including singing lullabies to crops, being a human scarecrow and managing a team of worms to provide the best soil for growing.
- Collaborate with farm staff in tasks such as vegetable sorting and processing.
- Observe and learn about the field-to-fork process which sees the locally sourced vegetables at Hay Farm be baked into delicious Cornish pasties, including a Pasty-making workshop with Ginsters’ executive chef Will.
What we need from you:
- An interest in farming, agriculture, and the outdoors.
- Strong work ethic, reliability, and ability to perform physical tasks in various weather conditions.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills to collaborate effectively with farm staff.
- Willingness to learn and take direction from experienced farmers and mentors.
- Attention to detail and the ability to follow instructions accurately – maybe even including learning lyrics to vegetable lullabies!
- Adaptability and a positive attitude in a dynamic and ever-changing farm environment.
- Willingness to get hands – and other areas such as arms, face, knees and toes – dirty on a real Cornish farm.
Why are you interested in gaining work experience on a farm?
|1||Displays little to no interest in working on a farm (inc. no reasoning)|
|2||Shows some interest in working on a farm and looking after vegetables and some reasoning but room for more dedication|
|3||Is clearly very interested in working on Hay Farm and expresses dedication to the role with lots of reasons why.|
Describe any prior experience you may have related to farming, gardening and growing veg? No experience is required for the role.
Please tell us about something you are dedicated to and put a lot of effort into outside work or formal education.
|1||Unable to provide an example of personal dedication / effort outside of work/education|
|2||Demonstrates an interest in something(s) outside of work/education|
|3||Shows clear dedication and enthusiasm for something(s) outside work/education|
This work experience is expected to last 1 x week (5 working days). As part of the work experience the Successful Candidate will receive hands-on training, mentorship, and opportunities to explore various aspects of farm operations.
This is a paid work experience opportunity in which the successful candidate will receive £673 for the week (the equivalent of a £35K per annum, approximate average UK salary). Travel and accommodation for the duration of the work experience will also be provided.
How to Apply and Deadline:
Please submit your application on the Ginsters website at www.ginsters.co.uk/pastyfarmer by the end of 22nd October 2023 to be in with the chance of becoming Ginsters’ new Pasty Farmer.
Terms and Conditions
- This Work Experience is only open to legal residents of Great Britain aged 18 years or over (for insurance purposes), who are eligible to work in the UK. There is no fee to pay to apply.
- The Work Experience excludes employees of the Work Experience Provider, their families, agencies or anyone else professionally connected with this Work Experience.
- Work Experience application period: Applications for the experience will be accepted between 00:00 9th October 2023 and 23:59 22nd October 2023.
- Work Experience Period:This Work Experience will take place in the Spring of 2024. Dates to be mutually agreed between the candidate and the Work Experience provider.
- To Apply:
To apply for the Work Experience, visit www.ginsters.co.uk/pastyfarmer
- Enter full name, email address and telephone number during the relevant Work Experience Application Period, entrants need to click on the link to register their details, answer the application questions and apply for the Work Experience.
- On Tuesday 24th October and Wednesday 25th October 2023, one (1) person will be selected following a review of applications against objective criteria and will have the opportunity to undertake the Work Experience.
- If you have been successful in being selected for the Work Experience, you will be:
- Contacted by Ginsters or our agency (Splendid Communications) within 2 working days of selection using the email address provided on entry, and asked to confirm that you are aged 18 or over by sending a photograph / copy of formal identification and proof of eligibility to work in the UK. You will need to respond confirming this information within 2 working days of initial contact. If you do not respond within 2 working days, the Work Experience Provider reserves the right to select another candidate for the Work Experience in the same manner.
- Ginsters (or our agency) will send up to three chaser emails to the Successful Candidate using the email address provided and may contact them over the phone.
- The Successful Candidate will be appointed to the role following a short video call interview with Ginsters and/ or our agency.
- The Successful Candidate must confirm participation by 20th November 2023.
- The Successful Candidate will receive 1 week Work Experience, travel, a food allowance and accommodation details over email, and a call will be scheduled to brief the Successful Candidate on what to expect.
- Unsuccessful candidates will be notified to the email address they have provided that they have not been selected by 30th November 2023.
- The Offer:
- 5 working days Work Experience at Hay Farm Produce in Cornwall
- Renumeration to the sum of £673 (equivalent to a salary of approx. £35,000 pro rata, approximate average salary for the UK)
- Travel from a UK train station to the Work Experience location.
- 6 nights’ accommodation nearby to Hay Farm Produce
- If they wish, the Successful Candidate may be joined at our expense by one travel partner to accompany them in their accommodation, but for insurance reasons your partner will not be permitted to join you when you are working on the farm.
- £400 food and drink allowance for the duration of the Experience
- General Details and Conditions:
- The offering of the Work Experience, as well as its content is at the discretion of the Work Experience Provider.
- All elements of the Work Experience must be taken as part of the same trip.
- The Successful Candidate must abide by and is subject to the rules and regulations of Hay Farm Produce and the accommodation provider.
- By applying for the Work Experience, candidates confirm that they are physically able to perform some light gardening duties in line with the work experience itinerary (which will be shared prior to the commencement of the work experience):
- Reasonable adjustments will be made if required.
- The Successful Candidate will receive a full health and safety briefing and must follow the health and safety guidance provided at all times.
- The Successful Candidate must be prepared to undergo standard employment checks and give their consent to those checks being carried out (at our expense).
- Once the Work Experience has been arranged with the Successful Candidate, it is only valid for, dates and times booked. No alternatives are available, changes to the dates once confirmed are not permitted.
- Travel extras are not included in the Work Experience (these include any travel upgrades, spending money over and above the provided allowance).
- If the Work Experience is cancelled by the Successful Candidate, no alternative Work Experience will be issued and for the avoidance of doubt, no compensation and/or refund will be provided.
- For the avoidance of doubt, the Offer does not include souvenirs, gratuities, car parking charges, excursions and attractions or any other costs of a personal nature (including spending money) that are not explicitly set out in these Terms and Conditions and neither the Work Experience Provider nor any provider of any part of the Work Experience will be responsible for any such costs.
- The Successful Candidate is responsible for the behaviour of themselves and their party whilst taking part in the Work Experience. The Work Experience Provider reserves the right in its absolute discretion to exclude the Successful Candidate (and their party) from participation in the Work Experience if any party fails to comply with the directions of Hay Farm Produce, the accommodation company or any companies associated with the Work Experience, or if the Successful Candidate (and their party) acts in a manner that is dangerous to themselves or to the public or is anti-social in any manner or which causes a disturbance or nuisance to others.
- The Work Experience Provider will not be liable or responsible for any loss or damage suffered by the Successful Candidate (and their party) should they not be able to take part in the Work Experience as a result of any Government travel warning or advisory applicable to Cornwall, or for any other failure on their part to travel. In particular, the Work Experience Provider shall have no obligation to substitute any alternative work experience, cash equivalent or other compensation where the Successful Candidate fails to attend the Work Experience for any reason.
- The Work Experience Provider will try to rearrange or adjust the work experience, however will not be liable if this is not possible.
- Obtaining time off work and/or study or related activities to participate in the Work Experience and/or use the ticket is the responsibility of the Successful Candidate. All related costs/time off will be at the sole and absolute responsibility of each entrant or person participating in the Work Experience.
- The Work Experience Provider reserves the right to verify the eligibility of candidates. The Work Experience Provider may require such information as it considers reasonably necessary for this purpose and the Work Experience and renumeration may be withheld unless and until the Work Experience Provider is satisfied with the verification.
- The Work Experience is non-transferable, non-refundable and there is no cash alternative.
- The Successful Candidate shall be responsible for paying all taxes (including, without limitation, Corporation Tax, Income Tax, National Insurance and equivalent taxes anywhere worldwide) and making all deductions from and in respect of payments, Fees and Expenses received.
- In the event that any provision of these Terms and Conditions or any Specific Terms are held to be illegal, invalid, void or otherwise unenforceable, it shall be severed from the remaining provisions which shall continue in full force and effect.
- If for any reason the Work Experience is not capable of running as planned for reasons including but not limited to tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of the Work Experience Provider which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Work Experience, the Work Experience Provider reserves the right (subject to any written directions given under applicable law) to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Work Experience.
- If an act, omission, event or circumstance occurs which is beyond the reasonable control of the Work Experience Provider and which prevents the Work Experience Provider from complying with these Terms and Conditions, such as an alteration or cancellation of a train, the Work Experience Provider will not be liable for any failure to perform or delay in performing its obligations.
- By entering this Work Experience, all participants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
- The Work Experience Provider’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Any personal information provided by the entrants will be used by the Work Experience Provider and/or its agencies for the purpose of conducting this Work Experience. The Work Experience Provider may disclose entrants’ personal information to its contractors and agencies to assist in conducting this Work Experience or communicating with entrants.
- The Work Experience Provider / Agency may hold certain information for the purposes of undertaking the work experience in either a written or computerised format in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the UK GDPR. This includes personal information (e.g., name, address, emergency contact details, etc.), and other information necessary for processing the payments or legal purposes. In addition, any relevant correspondence that is either issued or received during your Work Experience is held on file. By agreeing to these terms and conditions, you acknowledge that the Work Experience Provider / Agency will process, hold and maintain your personal information. If you do not consent to Work Experience Provider / Agency holding or maintaining personal information, you should confirm this in writing to the Managing Director. All personal data will be fully deleted from systems within three months of completion of the work experience.
- The Work Experience Provider may also wish to publish publicly the name and county of the Successful Candidate and use their name, image and Work Experience anecdotes in local and national media, social media and promotional coverage.
- Candidates confirm they consent and are happy for the Work Experience Provider to do this.
- As part of the Work Experience the Successful Candidate may be required to participate in a photoshoot, the images of which will be shared with local and national media and may be used in promotional material and / or on social media.
- This Work Experience is governed by English Law and participants submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Work Experience: Ginsters is giving one successful applicant the chance to undertake 1x week of work experience as a Ginsters Pasty Farmer down at Hay Farm Produce in Cornwall – one of the Farms that provide Ginsters with its locally-sourced vegetables.
Successful Candidate: Entrants who are successful in securing the opportunity to undertake the work experience.
Work Experience Provider: Ginsters, a division of Samworth Brothers Limited, of Tavistock Road, Callington, Cornwall, United Kingdom, PL17 7XG
Agency: Splendid Communications, Third Floor, Block 1, The Old Dairy, Stapleton House, 110-122 Clifton Street, London EC2A 4HT