Pickled Carrot & Cucumber Salad
- 100ml water
- 100g sugar
- 100ml vinegar
- 1/2 cucumber in ribbons
- 3 carrots in ribbons
- 1 tablespoon toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon toasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon sesame
- Bring the water, sugar and vinegar to the boil and pour over carrot and cucumber ribbons, leave to cool.
- Take the carrot and cucumber from the liquor, toss with the nuts & seeds and serve
Pickled Red Cabbage
- 1/2 a red cabbage finely shredded
- 50g salt
- 150g sugar
- 250g cider vinegar
- 250g red vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 5 black peppercorns
- 10 coriander seeds
- Place the shredded cabbage and salt in a bowl and mix together, leave for 4-6 hrs to soften the cabbage. Wash thoroughly and leave to dry.
- Bring the spices, sugar, vinegar to the boil and leave to infuse.
- Mix the spiced liquor and red cabbage together and place in a sterilised jar, leave for 5 days, and place in the fridge.
- shop bought mayonnaise
- Grain mustard
- 1 onion
- 3 carrots
- 1/4 of a cabbage
- 2 sticks of spring onions finely sliced
- 1 stick of celery finely sliced
- Grate the onions, carrots and cabbage.
- Add the spring onions and celery and add a tablespoon of grain mustard and add desired mayonnaise to bind together.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve
- 150g red lentils soaked in cold water for 2-4hrs
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 10g of grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 finely diced onion
- 1/2 a red pepper finely sliced
- 1/2 a green pepper
- 30g sugar snaps
- 10g spinach.
- Add a splash of veg oil to a pan and add the onion and spices and sweat with no colour for 5 mins add the red lentils and cover with water and cook for 45 mins till the water has evaporated and the lentils are cooked.
- Add the peppers, sugar snaps and spinach and cook for another 3-5 mins, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Home-made Tomato Chutney
Home-made Tomato Chutney
- 200g finely chopped red onion
- 500g of freshly chopped tomatoes
- 250g sugar
- 150g of vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- pinch of cumin powder
- 1 finely chopped red chilli ( seeds optional)
- 75g raisin
- 2 cloves of grated garlic
- Sweat your onions, garlic and spices in a pan for about 5 mins in a little olive oil with no colour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for about an hour until it’s nice and jammy, season with salt & black pepper and place in stabilised jars for up to 6 months.